We used to go in the wagon North of' Douglas to get the mail. Then they soon had a post off'ice in Douglas. Then they soon had mail routes and mail carriers to bring the mail on routes. As time went on there were three grocery stores, a post office, a hardware store, run by a man by the name of John st. Clair who also had a mortuary f'or a short time. Also there was a f'urniture store, blacksmith shop, Long Bell Lumber Company, a Hotel run by Mrs. Jef'f'ers. When at noon the train pulled on the Switch Track for one hour and the people could go to the Hotel and eat and the salesmen could go to the stores and take orders. The next day the dray would go to the depot and pick up the orders and deliver them to the stores.
A movie tent would come to town and stay several days, and show "Uncle Tom's Cabin" many times. The cost was only 10 cents.
A millinery shop where the ladies bought their hats for Easter and special occasions was a big hit. Also there was a Skating Rink where families could go to spend the evening visiting and dancing and having a good time. There was no drinking allowed. The kids all came along and if they got tired they went to the wagon which had hay and warm blankets and went to sleep until their parents were ready to go home.
Dr. H. G. Parker was the towns beloved Doctor. He was born in Alta Vista, Kansas, December 29, 1879. His parents came to Kansas from Staunton, VA. His father was a confederate prisoner during the civil war. They moved to the Hennessy area in the 1890's. Dr. Parker and his brothers and sister attended the Lyon Valley school.
While a teenager his brother, Waldo, died of a ruptured appendix and this was when Homer decided there needed to be Doctors in Oklahoma Territory. Homer went to Central Medical School at St. Joseph, MO and received his degree. He set up his practice in 1904 in the Douglas, OK Territory. He served the community for 54 years. He always smoked a cigar and was a most pleasant and happy person. He liked everyone and everyone loved our Dr. Parker. He met Olive Jeffers who ran the hotel and they were married and were blessed with four daughters, Mrs. J. L. (Ruth) Moseley, Mrs. Louis (Marion) Dunn and Mrs. Ansell (Margaret) Cowan. Martha Lee, a twin sister of Margaret died in infancy.
Dr. Hudson, a very good surgeon, and Dr. Parker were very good friends. He wanted Dr. Parker to come to Enid but he just couldn't give up his friends at Douglas.
Dr. and Mrs. Parker were avid sports fans. He was an outstanding baseball player. He also played on the Medical College football team.
There are many stories and events in Dr. and Mrs. Parker's lives, such as walking through snow blocked roads to deliver babies and to see the sick, sewing on fingers and ears of patients being paid with a big slab of fresh butchered meat, a chicken or a ham bone.
Due to the depression and the decline of the small town of Douglas, Dr. Parker closed the drug store and moved his office to his home in 1953. Mrs. Parker got involved in income tax returns, served on the Douglas School Board for many years, was a leader in the church and the Red Cross.
Dr. and Mrs. Parker were loved by hundreds of people. Their purpose in life was not to acquire wealth, but only to serve the community they loved. Dr. Parker died in 1962. He was faithful to the end, even seeing a patient the day he passed away. Mrs. Parker lived until 1978. They are buried in the Douglas Cemetery close to the town they loved.
Decoration Day was a day I will always remember. They held a Memorial Service in the Christian Church and, as he was called, Grandpa Atterbury was always there. He was proud of his country. He was a very tall man and he carried the flag with pride. He always gave a speech on Decoration Day at the Church. He went to fight for his country when he was 15. The day of the Services he rode a white horse and led the way to the cemetery. After his speech he led the way back to town. He had 5 children and they lost a daughter who had 2 boys and he raised them. They all attended school at Douglas. Grandpa Atterbury was a proud and familiar figure around the Douglas town.